Chemotherapy is a type of cancer treatment that uses drugs to destroy cancer cells. It works by stopping or slowing the growth of cancer cells, which grow and divide quickly. Depending on your type of cancer and how advanced it is, chemotherapy can:
- Cure cancer – when chemotherapy destroys cancer cells to the point that your doctor can no longer detect them in your body and they will not grow back.
- Control cancer – when chemotherapy keeps cancer from spreading, slows its growth, or destroys cancer cells that have spread to other parts of your body.
- Ease cancer symptoms – when chemotherapy shrinks tumors that are causing pain or pressure
Why do I need chemotherapy?
Sometimes, chemotherapy is used as the only cancer treatment. But more often, you will get chemotherapy along with surgery, radiation therapy, or biological therapy. Chemotherapy can:
- Make a tumor smaller before surgery or radiation therapy.
- Destroy cancer cells that may remain after surgery or radiation therapy.
- Help radiation therapy and biological therapy work better.
- Destroy cancer cells that have come back or spread to other parts of your body.
As LIV Hospital, we make chemotherapy during your hospital stay, or while you visit us as an outpatient (which means you do not have to stay at the hospital). No matter how we do it, our doctors and nurses will watch you carefully for side effects and make any needed drug changes, in order to make your treatment correctly and with comfort.
How often will I receive chemotherapy?
Treatment schedules for chemotherapy vary widely. How often and how long you get chemotherapy depends on:
- Your type of cancer and how advanced it is
- The goals of treatment (whether chemotherapy is used to cure your cancer, control its growth, or ease the symptoms)
- The type of chemotherapy
- How your body reacts to chemotherapyYou may receive chemotherapy in cycles. A cycle is a period of chemotherapy treatment followed by a period of rest. For instance, you may receive 1 week of chemotherapy followed by 3 weeks of rest. These 4 weeks make up one cycle. The rest period gives your body a chance to build new healthy cells.
Why should I choose LIV Hospital for chemotherapy?
Many types of cancer is much curable, especially when diagnosed early. Its treatment requires a perfect multidisciplinary approach by the related clinical branch in addition to Medical Oncology, Radiotherapy, Nuclear Medicine and Radiology clinics. All these clinics should cover high technology and deep experience together. Do not forget that technology itself is never enough, as experienced medical teams are needed to use those high-tech equipment. So, patients should question who the doctors are, when choosing the right center for a real fight against cancer. This is where we show a real difference, by our medical teams with world-class experience.
Chief of our Medical Oncology Clinic, Professor Onat, has a nation-wide reputation for his deep experience in Personalized Chemotherapy and other leading-edge treatments. There are dramatic differences between the old/classical way of chemotherapy and the new generation of Personalized Chemotherapy:
Personalized Chemotherapy is the next generation of cancer treatment, because instead of administering the classical way of drugs; we investigate the cellular and behavioral structure of your cancer first. Once we identify which drugs work best against your type of cancer in your body, we choose the best combination of drugs that will exactly hit your cancer cells with minimum side effects.
Of course, this requires very deep experience in different types of cancer cell behavior. As LIV Hospital, we are proud of having the most experienced and talented doctors with different expertise, who have been handling high number of cancer cases through a real multidisciplinary approach. As one of the leading reference hospitals in Europe, we have been curing thousands of such patients from different countries every year.
For international patients:
Every year, hundreds of patients from different countries prefer us for our deepest expertise in cancer treatment. The procedure starts with your first contact, during which you tell us about your medical condition and send your medical reports. We have an experienced team of International Patient Services Department, where our agents speak 12 different languages including Arabic, Russian, Georgian and more. They handle your request carefully and communicate with our doctors immediately. If necessary, they organize telephone or video calls between you and our medical team, so that we make sure that we understand you correctly, before we prepare your treatment plan in detail.
We also give full support in meeting you at the airport, organizing your accommodation, giving interpreter services, preparing your medical reports in your own language in order to make you feel at home during your stay in Turkey.
Contact us to understand how better we can help you with your cancer: